HOMOCO is a brand for queer people.
We make limited-edition printed swim trunks and matching camp shirts for sustainably-produced materials. Our products are affordably priced and inclusively sized to make HOMOCO accessible to the full LGBTQIA+ community.
And we are deeply committed to giving back, donating a portion of each sale to organizations working with queer-rights as well as ocean conservation.
Departments Open for Collaboration
Growth StrategyFor your reference, we've included some sample project ideas below. We encourage educators to mix-and-match components from various departments so that the projects are cross functional in nature. In all cases, we customize the projects based on company goals and course teaching objectives.
Growth Plan and KPI Performance Assessment
Industry Benchmarking Assessment
Customer Retention & Growth
- What’s the general customer perception of the company’s brand?
Establish Company Goals & Projections
- Analyze the company’s growth plan. What areas of the business seem most opportunistic and/or concerning? Consider their growth plan and existing traction.
- How does the company today compare to the company months and/or years ago?
- What does the company want to look like in the future?
- What are the KPIs and how well well do they tie to your assessment of company performance in strategic areas?
- How do you think the KPIs will change as the business scales?
Industry Marketing Benchmarking Analysis
- What is the company's target demographic, product, and business model?
- What is the customer’s problem and how the company's product or service is solving that problem?
- How would you compare the company's products with the rest of the providers in the industry? Pay close attention to how other companies are marketing their products and positioning the brands.
- How would you compare the company’s marketing performance to competitors?
- What improvements would you recommend based on your assessment?
- Marketing Strategy Impact Analysis
- Examine the company's past marketing strategies. What worked? What did not? How would you showcase progress over time?
- Compile data into a visualization to track trends of successful and less successful strategies.
- Compare the company's marketing tactics with competitors to showcase what works effectively - or not effectively - with certain customer demographics
- What other marketing strategies could be used to benefit the company?
- What technologies could be involved in different marketing strategies? How can you use them most effectively? How would you measure success?
Marketing Strategy Development
- What are the company's past marketing strategies? What worked? What did not? How would you showcase progress over time?
- What is the customer’s perception of the company’s brand, product, and services?
- Propose 2-3 digital, experiential, or social, marketing strategies for the company to consider. Assess cost, reach, mediums, and any other components needed for a full understanding of this investment.
- Select one campaign and develop a road-map that will prepare the company to launch your campaign. Keep in mind timing, required resources (budget, people, etc.), projected results, and how you would measure ROI.
Customer Brand Perception Analysis
- Does the company assess their brand perception at all? If so, what do you find interesting about the process or findings?
- Conduct structured customer interviews to gain a better understanding of their customers’ preferences, purchasing habits, and decision-making processes. Consider: Demographics, Discovery Channels, and their Product Aptitude
- Suggest a new effective process to collect more customer data on brand perception and customer experience.
Marketing Mix Assessment & Recommendations
- Consider a 360 marketing approach when deciding the appropriate channels to utilize. What is the current marketing mix for the company? Analyze where the company spends the most and where the company performs bests.
- Propose an alternative marketing mix for the company that you think will work best for the product, industry, and customer type. Where should the company allocate resources to generate better performance? Consider paid advertising, social, display, content, guerrilla , experiential, affiliate, partnerships, etc.
- What are the costs and benefits of using your strategy? What are the key risks and costs? Compare these risks with potential reach and benefit.
Analyze and Suggest Improvements for Internal Communication and Tools
- Investigate current ways the company’s team is communicating internally. How active is the company from a communication standpoint? What suite of tools are they using? How well are these tools integrated with one another? Consider: calendar, chat, email, and project management at the very minimum.
- Does the team seem to be using all of the same tools and doing so effectively? How do these tools compare to similar tools on the market? How do these tools affect productivity and employee satisfaction? Note: This assignment requires interviews and surveys of significant internal stakeholders at the company.
- Is there a cheat sheet when it comes to communication and project management at the company? If so, review the manual and provide recommendations on updates based on what you’ve learned from the company personnel. If not, produce a rough draft of the manual or cheat sheet and review it with your project managers.
- Provide the company with a proposal including the analysis of the status quo of communication in the company and thoroughly examine recommendations for future improvement.
Automation Assessment & Recommendations
- What suite of tools is the company currently using? How well are these tools integrated with one another?
- How can the company be better automating certain processes to improve productivity?
- Find 2-3 areas that could use automation.
- Select one area of potential automation to focus on. Build automation or suggest step-by-step process of how automation can accomplish the desired business objective. How would this automation save money and/or time for the business?
Cross Functional Departmental Cooperation Assessment & Recommendations
- What are the different functional areas?
- How do they interact with each other?
- What improvements could you recommend to improve internal interdepartmental communication? Think standing meetings, internal newsletters, new checklists, and other mechanisms that might help improve cross functional department collaborations.
PR & Comms
Analyze the Role of Public Relations on Enhancing Customer Experience
- Do similar companies at a similar stage and size have a PR function? If so, how is that role designed? How do they use PR to enhance the overall customer experience? If so, how?
- Interview the folks responsible for Public Relations at your host company to get a sense for how they have been doing PR so far. What is the relationship between customer satisfaction and PR at your host company? Are they related at all? Which aspects of the PR activities influence the overall customer experience?
- How satisfied are the customers of the company? Administer customer interviews and/or questionnaires to determine how satisfied the customers are with the product, service, and overall purchasing experience.
- What recommendations do you have for the company on how they can improve their overall PR process in order to further enhance the customer experience? Are there specific campaigns or processes that can be implemented to enhance the overall PR function and customer experience?
Analyze and Recommend Improvements of Public Relations Strategy through Social Media
- Conduct a comprehensive analysis on what media channels (including social and others) that the company currently uses for Public Relations. To what extent is social media being used for PR purposes as opposed to other channels? How does this compare to their industry peers?
- Collect data from the company’s social media accounts and analyze: Does the company differentiate their marketing initiatives from their PR initiatives on their social media? How does the company balance PR and marketing on social? What reach and impact do these two initiatives typically have? How do they compare to one another?
- How can the company enhance their PR when it comes to their social media channels? What do similar companies do when it comes to PR through social media? What are best practices you could recommend when it comes to PR through social media?
Deep Dive on Public Image & Suggest Performance Improvements
- Establish a way to assess public image through surveys and interviews.
- Analyze the difference of company image between current and potential customers.
- You may also want to include employees and publicly available information to help with your analysis.
- Based on your findings, how urgently does the company need to address their public image?
- How would you recommend making improvements to the PR strategy in order to enhance the overall public perception of the company’s brand?
Crisis Management Process Mapping & Performance Improvements
- How does the company define a crisis? Have they encountered any public crises yet? How was that situation managed? What did they learn from that experience?
- Does the company have a crisis management process? Is this a clear process? Has it been detailed and mapped out including all stakeholders, approvals?
- What key criteria need to be analyzed when administering a damage assessment after a crisis has occurred?
Product DevelopmentWe've included some sample project ideas below. We encourage users to mix-and-match components from various departments for the best cross functional project experience. In all cases, we customize the projects based on company goals and student learning objectives.
Design a New Product
- Become familiar with the company’s core competencies and current product offerings. How does the company categorize and organize their products? How do these products compare with competitors?
- Assess the company's product roadmap and goals for new product development. Who are the critical stakeholders (including internal and external)? Brainstorm and ideate product development ideas with the team. Identify the potential market opportunity and clearly define the problem. Propose 2-3 new product ideas given the company’s current product portfolio and desired goals.
- Select one product for further development. Is this a similar customer base to the company’s original product or is this product for a new market entirely? Collect user feedback on the idea and/or any prototypes/drawings.
- Develop official target audience personas for the new product. Explain why these personas are potential customers and why you feel these groups present a reasonable market opportunity. Write user stories to detail why users need the product to solve a problem or accomplish a goal.
- Create a product roadmap including assessment of time, budget, and resources required to get the product to market.
- Create a prototype of your design: the prototype could either be a drawing, digital asset, or physical mock-up.
Design New Packaging
- How is the packaging currently designed? What are the basic materials that go into the packaging? How does the packaging impact the manufacturing and distribution process? What does the packaging cost as-is? How does the packaging compare with industry peers?
- How do the current customers feel about the packaging (or unpacking) experience? What did they like about the experience? What do they feel could be improved?
- How does the company’s packaging compare to industry peers? What best practices can be adopted from similar companies to improve the unpackaging experience?
- Suggest 1-2 specific packaging improvements for the company’s product. Analyze the impact these changes would have on required materials, vendor relationships, the manufacturing and distribution process, and overall cost.
Design Product Extension
- Assess the company’s product portfolio over time.
- What products are ripe for new additions or complete reinventions?
- What product extensions can you think of with your group?
- Select one product for further assessment. Assess the potential cost, benefit, and impact of adding your proposed product extension.
Logistics & Supply Chain
Raw Materials Audit
- What raw materials are being used? Where are they getting the raw materials? How is the relationship with these suppliers? How do current key stakeholders feel about these raw materials and/or suppliers?
- What is the cost of raw materials? How does this compare with other suppliers?
- Explore potential new raw materials providers. Do any of them present potential benefits for the company (improved quality or reduced cost)?
Manufacturing to Distribution Process Mapping & Improvements
- How does the company get their products to distributors?
- How is the company currently manufacturing the products?
- What is the process of preparing the final goods for distribution?
- How does the distribution system work? How long does it take to get from destination to destination?
- Can any of this be automated or optimized? This about increasing efficiency and/or reducing costs.
Distribution System Testing
- How does the company distribute their products?
- How reliable are the distributors?
- How far-reaching are these distributors?
- Are there better potential distributors? What about potential new distributor relationships?
New Distribution Partner Assessments
- Understand the current distribution partner relationships. Map out how products get to end customers and in what quantities.
- Assess potential new markets for the product. What regions seem the most appealing? Why? Select one region and make the case why this is the most ideal region to enter.
- What distribution partners would be able to help you reach your selected region? What other products are they distributing?
- How does entering this new region impact revenues and costs?
Process Mapping & Performance Improvements
- What type of QC control process is the company currently using? Can you map it out end-to-end?
- How effective is the company’s current QC process?
- How could the process be improved? Think technology and process workflows.
Instituting Quality Control with Suppliers or Third-Party Vendors
- Analyze how the company’s suppliers, partners, and vendors administer QC. Does this meet your company’s standards?
- What types of quality check is the company currently doing? How often? What is this process like and how can it be improved?
Quality Control with Customers and End Users
- How does the company ensure quality with their customers?
- How well does the company check-in on customers to ensure quality?
- How can the company improve their quality control process related to the customer experience?
Research & Development
- How much information does the company have on the market? What about their target audience and customers? Use this information to get up-to-speed on the business.
- What does the competitive environment look like? How would you benchmark your company against competitors? What are your competitors’ current market advantages, weaknesses? Create a competitor research reports including products, pricing, market share, and marketing tactics.
- Create a broader industry and market environment research report, which includes: market size and trends, market demographics (e.g. age, gender, income), regulatory landscape, marketing channels and strategies, and sociographics (e.g. beliefs and attitudes, interests, lifestyle factors)
- Who your current customers? How well does this align with the company’s defined target audience? Who are the potential customers? What, when, where and how do they buy your products?
- What strategies does the company currently use to attract new customers? To what extent are these strategies effective? What other strategies could the company use to attract more potential customers? Why do you think your new strategies would be effective?
- Create a customer research report including customer demographics, social and lifestyle trends, needs and expectations, attitude towards you and your competitors.
Product Development & Updates
- What existing products does the company offer? How satisfied are current customers with the current product offerings?
- What improvements could be made to existing products? How would you suggest updating current products to meet existing and potential customers’ needs?
- What new products does the company have on the horizon? Do you expect that these products will meet customers’ demands? What are the product guidelines and regulatory specifications that need to be followed while developing the new product?
- Can you project how well products will fair in the market? Does this align with management expectations? Why or why not?
Business Innovation Assessment
- How has your company improved over time?
- What are key ways for the company to improve overall performance?
- How might you be able to reduce expenses and/or increase revenues?
- How will expanding affect current operations? Do you have a reliable operations (think HR, implementation, and operations)?
- How would you compare your performance with competitors?
- What KPIs is the company tracking? How does the growth plan address these KPIs?